Thursday, November 30, 2006

Little things

OK, before I get into the rest of this blog, let me say that I must agree with Meghan Mochrie!! She says that, "WOW!!! either no one comes and reads this or no one likes to leave comments!!" So, if you are reading this (that means all three you that have bothered to stop by) then get going with the comments people. And on that note, if you find that you ever don't agree with something that I write, or if you think that my thinking is flawed. Let me know...I would welcome a little banter about the things of God, the meaning of life, etc. etc.

Now that I've given my little shout out to Meghan and done my pitiful beg for comments, I will return back to the real topic for tonights "deep thoughts."

Little things. Sometimes it's just the little things in life that just make it for you. For example...my daughters smile and her little giggle, a hug from your wife (or significant person in you life i.e. parent, friend, etc.) at just the right time, the perfect nap - you know the one where you sleep so hard so fast that you wake up with a little drool pool, or maybe it's just the perfect moment where you happen to pay attention to the beauty that God has orchestrated when you see the sunset just right and the colors cause you to amazed.

You know what I'm talking about...the little things.

It's amazing to me that the little things in life have the ability to grab your attention, your affection, and your imagination in such incredible ways. The only problem that I've found in my life is that I am perturbed by the little things in life far more than I am the big things. I know that you are reading this saying, "Jeremy, you've lost your mind!! There is no way that the little things in life should frustrate you. Their insignificant, let them go!"

I suppose you're right. However, venture here with me for just a moment. I don't know if you are like me, but I can handle the large things in life OK. Please understand, I don't like it when catastrophe strikes. I don't like it when people die, or family or friends are involved in car accidents. I don't like when things like 9-11 happen or when teenagers commit suicide. But somehow, I hold it together through catastrophes. It's the little things that set me off. I don't why...

It's the missing car keys when I'm late for an appointment and I'm rushing around the house like a mad man, getting angry that I can't find the keys and even madder at myself at the fact that I'm mad. It's when I'm mad at myself for forgetting an appointment with someone. Sure, it's regrettable that I made a mistake, but is it really worth the self-abuse I put myself through? Is it worth the fact that I treat myself like a dog for missing an engagement. Or here's one from literally my day today...I go to buy something for work, and I need the receipt to turn in for reimbursement, and somehow (believe me I DON'T KNOW HOW!!) in the matter of a 4 minute drive I lose the $84.17 receipt and i spend 2 hours looking for it!!! How mental is that? Ha, look at me, it's almost 8 hours later, and I'm still irritated with myself for feeling this way.

In case you're worried...I am OK. I will make it through the loss of a small 3 square inch sheet of paper...and yes, I will get reimbursed even if I can't produce the receipt. I know all of that already, but somehow, it just get down in side of me and rubs me the wrong way like a small pebble in my shoe that I can't rid of.

Isn't is great to know that in the midst of all things great and small God is right there with us?!! God is there teaching me and guiding me through the little frustrations of life...and it's moments like this where I can see that he was with me that help me to make it through the BIG challenges.

Isn't great to know that God is there is the little special moments of life. I feel so much closer to Him when I realize that for a breif moment, I recognized the work of His hands. What a cool feeling.

I'll close tonight with this thought.

Luke 16:9-11
9 Here’s the lesson: Use your worldly resources to benefit others and make friends. Then, when your earthly possessions are gone, they will welcome you to an eternal home.[a]
10 “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities. 11 And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven?

I know that this passage is talking about money. But I think it can speak to all aspects of life and who we are. When we learn to see God and trust God and love God in the little things of life both beautiful and frustrating, we will grow with God into a life that is bigger than we can imagine.

Good night

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy it always seems like i am not an important member of the youth group. I feel that since i an not one of your favorites then im not worth your time. What can i do to make you like me.

12/02/2006

 
Blogger life with Jeremy said...

Anonymous...

Wow! I didn't really see that one coming! I guess that's what I get for asking for comments, huh?

Well, I must say, that right now, I'm pretty taken aback. I've worked for the last eight years at Forest Hills loving students and trying to introduce them to Jesus. Let me just say before I go any further, that a comment like this hurts a little...no actually it hurts alot.

To address your comment, I will say these things. First off, I am sorry that you feel as though you are "not an important member" of our youth ministry. Between you and me, I choose to use the term youth ministry instead of youth group. The reason I do, is because groups are closed. Groups don't let new people in. Groups are for members only. Ministry's are open. Ministry's are for everyone. The fact that you feel as though you are unwanted or insignificant means that the message we have tried to convey is not the message that you have received. For that, I'm sorry.

Second, let me say, that I've learned a few things these last eight years. I as an individual do not have the ability to know, minister to, or be best friends with everyone. I am only one person. Instead of fooling myself into thinking that I am Superman, I have chosen to befriend other adults that love students and I have tried to help, nurture, and mentor those adults into how to love students better. If you do not have a good relationship with me, I truly do pray that you have a good relationship with a small group leader or another adult counselor at our church. You may not understand why I choose to operate this way or you may not care. But this is who I am.

Next, I want you to know that unfortunately you are not the first person to ever say this to me. And each time I hear it, it hurts. But just as before, I will tell you what I have told others before you. The people that you choose to label as "Jeremy's favorites" are not that at all. They are not people that I chose to carry the mantle of mini-youth minister or Jeremy's pet student leaders. Instead they are people that chose to pursue a relationship with me. They are the students that call me to come hang out at the church. They are the people that choose to volunteer at the church folding calendars and redecorating bulletin boards or cleaning the youth room because they want to hang out with me. They are the students that call me to say "hey man, I've got a ball game (or a chorus concert or band concert,etc.)Would you like to come and see me?

From the outside it looks like I'm the one that is choosing them, instead it is they that have chosen to befriend me. So, when you see me with them it looks natural because we have spoken or hung out somewhere other than just youth on Sunday night. Inversely it means that when you and I (or others that feel the way you do) speak it may not always seem as free flowing. Believe me, it is not because I don't like you. I'm sure of that. It is probably because I don't know you as well, because most likely we only speak for a minute or two once a week. Again, I'm sorry for that.

I don't know if I have answered your comment completey, but I do hope that you recognize that I am sorry for how you feel, and I hope that we can become better friends in the future. This comment is an open door for you to approach me...

12/03/2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home